Sunday, May 2, 2010

You Shouldn't Go That Way, You'll Get Robbed

Today was a very busy day! It started out with Joanna and I not acknowledging the time difference. So Joanna got up and was about to go down to breakfast and I told her to ask Hillary and Leanna if they were wearing their pajamas to breakfast. Turns out it was only 7:30, not 8:30. Good thing they love us even though we woke them up.

We didn't have anything to do until 4:00 today so we decided to go into Old Panama for the afternoon and eat lunch. The guy who owns the place we're staying said it was only about a mile and a half hike, so we thought it was no big deal and headed out. Y'all, it is blazing hot here. I have never sweat like this before in my whole life. and I know that is gross, but that is true life in Panama my friends. Our 1.5 mile walk turned into a 4 mile walk. No joke. The true test of the broken leg- it passed! We had to stop and ask for directions no less than 6 times and everyone gave different directions or had no idea what we were talking about. Very misleading. About 20 minutes before we got there, a police officer stopped us and told us that we needed to keep to the left because it would be very dangerous for us to be on the right and we could get robbed. Cool. Thank you, sir. So we went to the left. And if that was safer than the right, I do not want to know what was on the right! I have never been subject to so many cat calls and rude gestures because in my life, and was honestly just praying we would get out soon. Kinda creepy to be honest, but we made it. And ya know, that's real Panama. The upper class side we sleep in is not. We did, however, choose a taxi (my first!) for coming back. I am a much bigger fan of that idea. I also got some sun though :) and some sun burn... one of these days I will learn to put sunscreen on my poor scalp and large ears. Already got a sandals tan too. that's fun. We ate lunch and walked around for a little bit. I am so amazed at how much beauty there is in the poverty.

We had chicken soup for dinner, which I find really ironic considering how hot it is and the fact that the kitchen is not air conditioned at all. And I am so exhausted. And that is all. Tomorrow we start going to the schools and going to classes. Pretty nervous about that, not gonna lie. It seems like I never know what anyone is saying to me so classes will be interesting.

Time for bed! The bus will be here at 7:30 tomorrow to get us- yuck!

(pictures are on Facebook. that's easier than uploading them all!)

some random thoughts:
-Have I mentioned that it is really hot?
-copious amounts of alcohol are cheaper than sunscreen here. we know where their priorities are.
-Joanna killed a very large spider in our room and I am now terrified of what could be hiding in my bag.
-cold showers. they're great when you just come back from aforementioned 4 mile walk. and tolerable at all  times, but require a few reminders to breathe.
-J is talking to her roommate on Skype and she asked if we rode any wildlife today. unfortunately, we did not. and heard us talking to our teacher in Spanish and said, "that was Telemundo right now"
-McDonald's delivers. enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment