Sunday, May 16, 2010

Did You Buy That On The Side Of The Road?

Saturdays are our touristy days. We pretty much go non stop from 7am until 7 or 8 pm. This Saturday we went to Coclé and Penenomé, about 2 hours away. We went up into the mountains for the first time. We could always see them in the distance but never thought we would make it there to the cooler weather. It was so cool with a nice breeze. I could have stayed there all day long!


We continued into Penenomé for the rest of the afternoon. For lunch we found a hamburger place for Sophie to have something she liked... but I think we were all pretty satisfied by a good hamburger! Of course no excursion is complete without the required trip to a museum. Let's be honest, museums are almost always boring, but they are even more boring when you just don't feel like putting forth the effort to concentrate on what the man is saying when it's in a different language. We also saw the oldest church in the Americas. It is absolutely beautiful! Most churches here are Catholic churches and it has been so interesting to learn about the churches and Catholicism and it's made for some good conversations with Joanna. I like to learn about what my friends believe and understand that part of their lives better. We climbed to the top of the tower up this old, narrow staircase. Not. A. Fan. And neither was my leg, but we made it to the top.




We got to spend the rest of the afternoon at the beach! We are some girls who love the beach for sure! The waves were ridiculous. The size really wasn't as bad as the strength. I have never had waves pull me like that before. I decided that wasn't a good choice for me to make considering the amount of strength required and strain it was putting on my already aching leg, so Sarah and I laid out and read for a bit.


On the way home Alexis (our teacher) took us to this little hole in the wall concession stand looking place for dinner. As soon as he got done talking about how safe the area was these 2 guys got into a fight behind me and almost knocked me down. I thought Roberto (our precious bus drive who we love so much) was going to kill the guy for knocking into me. He loves us a lot :) We were so skeptical about this place... but we were way wrong about it! That is the best food I have had in a longggg time. The empanadas reminded me of the patties we used to eat in Jamaica. I wish it wasn't 30 minutes away or that we could even remember where we were so we could at least take a taxi.

I have found a great deal of solace in my iPod these days. By 4:30 or 5:30 each day, we are all tired and negativity is running rampant. We play off of each other and if one person says something negative then another person adds to it and so on until everyone is just in a bad mood. I finally started bringing my iPod so that I could just put it in my ears, turn it up, and turn off the voices around me. I started putting it on shuffle and just praying that God would bring to my ears exactly what He knows I need at that moment. I had a lot of this time yesterday on the bus for so long. There were moments where I took little naps and I loved the sound of truth ringing in my ears every time I woke up again. Confession: I have weakness for rap music. I am very conscious of how much I listen to it and what exactly I listen to because I know that the mouth is the overflow of the heart and I want my heart to be pure, but I'm a sucker for a good rhythm. That being said, I have made a commitment to myself to skip those songs when they come on because I need to weed out as much negativity as possible. Negativity from other is out of my control, but self-inflicted is very much so preventable. I was in a bit of a funk at the end of the day and was getting myself upset over unnecessary things, so I grabbed that iPod and said the same prayer I always do as I put the headphones in my ears. The next hour and a half was the best part of my whole day. I am thankful for the gift of music and to serve a God who is personal. He knows me. He knows my heart. He knows my needs, even when I don't.

Sunday: the day of rest. We sleep, we eat, we drink coffee, we go to Dunkin Donuts, and we go to Super 99. But today was Census day. In Panama you are not allowed to leave the house until someone from the Census comes and counts you and gives you a piece of paper saying you have been counted. Of course this is the one day of the week that I just want to get out of this house and find a table at Dunkin Donuts with my Bible and be alone. And the Census people never came. It actually just ended 5 minutes ago, so I guess we don't get counted, which is so disappointing! On the positive side, there were less people on the streets which meant less honking outside our window :) Tomorrow begins our last few days at Omar Torrijos. A bitter sweet week it will be.

come, come fallen ones, dance in the healing stream. He has faithfully kept you, brought you out of captivity. rejoice, rejoice with all your heart, sing Him a new song. that's heard high on the windswept mountains it will resound, sing! lead, Lord, with unfailing love, those that You have ransomed, and we will sing out as we go on, our God is faithful! -Exodus, Bethany Dillon

who do we say that He is with our lives? who do we say that He is in the words that we sing? who do we say that He is for the little eyes watching you and me? we can't just wash our hands of this and walk away, blame the ones before us because it's easier to say than to listen to His heart beating for the coming age. so let the hands go up around the world in surrender, let the voices echo out a new sound, so the ones that come behind us will follow in His name and see the greatness of His renown. -His Renown, Christy Nockels

take my will and make it Thine, it shall be no longer mine. take my heart, it is Thine own, it shall be Your royal throne. take my love, my Lord I pour, at Your feet its treasure store. take myself and I will be ever always all for Thee. here I am, all of me, take my life, it's all for Thee. -Take My Life, Chris Tomlin

You saw me when You took the crown of thorns, Your love washed over me. You saw me with the nails that You bore, and Your love washes over me. -You Saw Me, Hillsong

I don't care what it costs anymore, because You gave it all and I'm following You, I don't care what it takes anymore, no matter what happens I'm going Your way. -All Day, Hillsong

our God is greater, our God is stronger, God, You are higher than any other, our God is healer, awesome in power, our God, our God. and if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us? and if our God is with us, then what could stand against? -Our God, Chris Tomlin

every heart, every nation, every tribe, all creation, will bow before Your presence and sing, You are high and lifted up, and my soul sings "hallelujah", to the Lamb, the Lamb of God. -High and Lifted Up, Hillsong    I love this song because it says "my soul sings". that's so much more than just singing with your lips.

perfect while Kelly is in London: I walk the streets of London, and notice in the faces passing by, something that makes me stop and listen, my heart grows heavy with the cry, where is the hope for London? You whisper and my heart begins to soar, as I'm reminded that every street in London is Yours! -Yours, Steven Curtis Chapman

from underneath I promise to erase the past and let my heart forgive the former you, replace the dark of old and start brand new, I'm reaching out to take my Father's hand. -From Underneath, Hawk Nelson

I just want to love You, simply love You, the way it used to be when Your love was new to me, I just want to love You, simply love you, to hear what you say, and live every day like You ask me to, I just want to simply love You. -Simply Love You, Ginny Owens

hear the heart of heaven beating, "Jesus saves, Jesus saves", and the hush of mercy breathing, "Jesus saves, Jesus saves", hear the hosts of angels sing, "glory to the newborn King!" and the sounding joy repeating, "Jesus saves!' -Jesus Saves, Travis Cottrell   gives me chills every time!

innocent and holy King, You died to set the captive free, all because of Your love, Lord, You gave Your life for me, so I will give my life for You, all because of Your love. -Because of Your Love, Phil Whickham

some people see the revolution, but most only see the girl. I can lose my hard earned freedom if my fear defines my world, I declare my independence from the critics and their stones, I can find my revolution, I can learn to stand alone, and I'll be everything that I want to be, I am confidence and insecurity, I am a voice just waiting to be heard, I'll shoot the shot that you'll hear around the world. -One Girl Revolution, Superchick

No comments:

Post a Comment