Monday, May 10, 2010

I Can't Remember If It Was Jesus Or Obama

Today was a day of ups and downs. Every morning when our bus pulls up to the school the kids coming running toward it and the most random kids will just run up and hug you. They are always so excited to see us and it's impossible not to smile when you see him. Today I started working with 2 students in my class that have learning disabilities that make it very difficult for them to write. Today they were supposed to use the pictures on the left to write a story. I worked with them for a really long time and they got so much done. Juana said they haven't written that much all year. I was so proud of them! I didn't always understand what they were saying they wanted to write (yes, still), but I always figured it out and we just laughed and laughed sometimes. They are just so much fun. Also, Monica is Asian and let's be honest, it's funny to hear an Asian girl speak Spanish. Precious. At recess I just played with them like always. I can't even describe the joy that I feel from being with those kids. Hopefully pictures will come soon :) Toward the end of the class Rosario (a lady from UDELAS who coordinates all of the school placements) came in and talked to my kids and Juana for a long time. Then the English teacher (about time we go ahead and call her by her name too, Mary) told me that Rosario told them I will be teaching the whole class. Well my eyes just welled up with tears right there because, here's the thing, I can't teach in Spanish. I do not have the vocabulary to do such a thing. As I was leaving Juana pretty much just told me I'm teaching math tomorrow and didn't even give me a lesson or anything. Freaking out.

I won't go on and on about class today, but there was a lot of miscommunication with Lola (whose name is actually Leanna but we like Lola, her Spanish name) and I and our teacher and we ended up in this huge mess of not understanding and frustration which also was about to lead to tears... when another one of our teachers came in and told us we were going to meet the Director, who is self-entitled "La Magnifica" (the magnificent) (know how you love those self-given nicknames Kati :) ) They had built her up so much and think so highly of her that we were so nervous. It was so awkward because everyone is so concerned about impressing her. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but to have to put on a happy face for someone you really need approval from when you have had a bad day and then speak a different language to is very difficult and draining.

I was so thankful that Rosario was also at this meeting too and I was able to talk to her about how uncomfortable I was with teaching tomorrow. I'm not sure if it was miscommunication with Juana or with Rosario and Juana or what, but all has been cleared up and I get to keep working with my precious little babies. :)

We wanted to keep things really low key tonight so we just went to a pizza place close by and have just been hanging out around here. I don't think I will ever understand how I feel so tired at the end of a day or why I never feel like I've had near enough sleep.

spending this much time with people is bound to take it toll, and we're all starting to get a little snappy with each other, so please be praying for relationships within our house this week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!!!!! First of all, let me tell you that believe it or not- you being in Panama is getting me in better shape!- that's because I take my phone into the gym with me and read your blog while I'm on the (stinkin') stair climber! :) I look so forward to hearing about each new day/thing you're doing!
    I'm praying for you... I'm so excited that God has allowed you this experience. Have fun! Love you!
    P.S. I meant to tell you that Brooklyn and I were HONORED that we made your blog a few weeks ago (on the "to-do" list)!!!

    ReplyDelete