Friday, May 7, 2010

¿Donde Estás Tu Pantelones?

When the alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, the first words out of Joanna's mouth were, "are you serious right now?" and I couldn't have said it better myself. It felt like we had just gone to sleep 30 minutes earlier and I was dreading this day with every fiber of my being. Which caused us to get up late, as did the girls we shared a bathroom with. I was feeling that nervous/ exhausted/ in a hurry kind of sick to my stomach and chugged my coffee as we ran out the door because I knew I would need it after going to bed so late last night because of homework.

On the way to the school, I half way pretended I was asleep and just kept praying because I thought I was going to cry. I felt sick as I drug myself off the bus and equally as sick when my teacher didn't show up almost 20 minutes. But the English teacher came to the rescue again and gave me the opportunity to talk with some of the kids for a long time. They are hilarious! They ask 5 million questions and ask about snow at least 63 times a day. They taught me how to play their version of musical chairs but laughed every time I asked them to teach me the song to go with it, and they thought I was the greatest thing ever when I played with them... and lost. They are so sneaky and tiny! At recess the girls taught me all of their little clappy games and some of the songs. And asked 690,758 more questions of course. They make me laugh so much in 4 short hours. They are so great about explaining things and talking slowly and using their hands and showing me things when I don't understand. They make things so much easier and love learning English words from me. And at least one of them legitimately gives me an apple every day. Just like the movies; give the teacher an apple. I also talked to Juana (the teacher) more and actually understood most of what she was saying and could respond. Next week I'm going to work with 3 students who have reading learning disabilities all week, so that will be good. I'm really excited about it.

Class today was rather boring, but I finally understand enough that I am hardly ever lost and am (almost) completely comfortable answering questions or volunteering my opinion. At one point today I even had to think about whether someone had just said something in Spanish or English and almost typed half of this sentence in Spanish. It's so nice to finally get it. I know I still have so far to go and still sound like the American that I am, but I finally don't leave UDELAS discouraged every day and feel like maybe, just maybe, I can do this.

After class I got to talk to my parents for a few minutes on Skype which was great. I miss being able to call them whenever I want. Then we headed to a different mall to check out some cheap, good shopping we heard about. Turns out they were right! It's so fun to just walk everywhere and find our way around the city. It's also very entertaining. On the way home, Joanna was asked by a random man, "where are your pants?" (in Spanish of course, see title) because she had on khaki shorts and it was dark. We could not stop laughing! oh Panama, how you entertain us.

I am also so thankful for new friends. Sarah and I have had all of our Spanish classes together but never really became friends... until yesterday. And Hillary and Leanna have been in the learning community so we always ran into them and such, but they are so fun to live next to. I am so excited about the great opportunities that God has given me through these relationships. He is so faithful and blows me away every day, especially here in this beautiful place.

Tomorrow is our adventure day for our culture class! And it is going to be awesome. Just get ready! :)

random thoughts:
-verses
-said history teacher answered her phone during presentations today.
-speaking of, we have to give a presentation to the whole school and then some at the end of this here shin dig. oh I could just throw up at the very thought.
-the census is on May 16th and it's illegal to leave the house. and we're going to be counted.
-the mannequins here are very realistic and it's very awkward. and hilarious.
-we have to bring our own toilet paper to the bathroom.
-Marianna brought us a Leches surprise today. after we had ice cream. I'm going to gain 27 pounds from Leches.
-the kids bring washcloths to wipe their sweat and keep it in the pocket of their uniform shirt. that's how hot it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment