Monday, May 24, 2010

Aquí Estoy Yo

I had the greatest morning ever today. Sarah got the contact information for a missionary down here from her dad and they had been emailing, so we decided to go to church this morning. We took a taxi and headed to El Dorado, not sure what to expect, but excited. The taxi driver wasn't entirely sure where we were going, and we were thankful for Cindy (who speaks fluent Spanish) to help us tell him, but when he heard us speaking English he told us he speaks English too so we were able to talk to him when he was confused about where we were going exactly. God moment #1. When we got to the church, the lady Sarah knows (Nancy) wasn't there yet, so that was a little bit awkward waiting on her. But when she got there and we started taking to her, it was like we had been friends forever. I was a little worried about the service because I wondered if I would know what was going on at all, but when the first song started playing, it was like I was at home. God moment #2. I didn't know the words, but it was like I knew the words. Weird, I know. Then they started playing one of my all time favorite song: Aquí Estoy Yo. That's about the moment when tears started streaming down my face. God moment #3. I have wanted for so long to be able to truly worship collectively in Spanish, and today that wish came true. I don't think I have ever sang a song with so much of my heart before. It was wonderful. After an hour, it was time for the sermon. This is where I was most skeptical. I won't claim in any way to have understood much of what he said at all, but by reading the passages he was using, I totally got it and God definitely showed up and spoke to me loud and clear. The sermon was about our fruit and how others will know we are His by our fruit. One of the verses he used was Luke 13:6-9, then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?' 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' " God moment #4. I have a friend (let's call her friend #1) who I have been praying for for 3 years now and I feel like it is a constant cycle of taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. I feel like every time we get anywhere, something happens that makes her digress and we're back where we started, if not further behind. Last night I was talking to a friend (let's call him friend #2) about how discouraged I am getting about it because I feel like I am running out of time with her. Next year is my last year with her and we aren't in the same cohort so we won't be spending as much time together. I went to bed last night feeling totally discouraged. But then I read this passage. I so feel like that man. I feel like I need to see some fruit. After 3 years, I need to see something! It was like God literally said to me, "leave it alone for one more year. I can do this. Let me take care of it." I felt this wave of peace come over me. Last night when I was talking to friend #1 about friend #2 he told me over and over that I can't make salvation for her, and I know that, but it's hard to grasp that. I really needed God to just reassure me that He has this under control. Done. I am continually amazed at how God transcends all language barriers for His glory. It's incredible. We went to lunch with Nancy and had wonderful, encouraging conversations. God moment #5. She is me in an older body. She is from Honduras and her husband is from Michigan. They met in Honduras while he was there learning Spanish. That is just proof and encouragement that God can most definitely orchestrate my meeting my husband, even in the most random ways. She was telling us about her sister and brother-in-law who now live in McDonough and are having a really hard time finding a job because they are still struggling with the language a lot. They are both engineers, but are looking for jobs teaching Spanish right now. Well last week Mariana sent Sarah an email about 13 Spanish teaching positions in Atlanta City Schools. Perfect for both of them. God moment #6. The rest of the afternoon was full of life and smiles and happiness and friendship and God. Every conversation was alive with His presence. Nancy and David live with their 2 girls (Gina, 14 and Didi,13) in a precious little house with their mission office connected to the back. They work for IMB and are so completely content. At one point Sarah and I just looked at each other and both said, "they are really living the dream." I can't wait to have that life full of ministry with my husband. We are going to be a mighty force for Him; He confirmed that belief in me even more so today. I am so thankful for His constant affirmation and am so excited about where He is going to take me. And, one day, take us. All of us.

no tienes que buscar a nadie mas, yo quiero ir, aquí están mi tiempo, aquí están mis horas, aquí estoy yo, mi vida es para ti y en ti la quiero yo invertir, aquí están mis manos, aquí está mi voz, aquí estoy yo.
(you don't have to look for anyone else, I want to go, here is my time, here are my hours, here I am, my life is for you and in you I want to invest, here are my hands, here is my voice, here I am)

No comments:

Post a Comment