Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Best Teachers Teach From The Heart, Not The Book

Teaching on crutches was so difficult and awkward. I couldn't stand for long periods of time. I couldn't get to them when they had questions. I couldn't get on the ground and help them or play the games with them. I felt useless to my cooperating teacher.

Without the crutches, it's like I have found the joys of teaching all over again. Last week I started teaching for the whole 3 hours I am there. My class is a little wild and sometimes my cooperating teacher has a hard time controlling the class. If she can't control them, how on earth was I going to control them? Turns out they are really well behaved for me. In fact, they might even like me. I was so nervous at first and I was being observed by my supervisor, so the pressure was on. I was a little shaky for a few minutes, but I would like to attribute that mostly to nerves. It felt like I just came alive up there. I had so much fun. They were completely in tune with what I was doing and they were such an enjoyable group of kids. I couldn't believe how natural it felt.

I really have no desire to be a teacher. I love to teach, but I don't want to teach math, reading, writing, etc. I want to teach about the love of Jesus. I want to guide women in His love. Some days I don't even want to be in this program... ok, most days. And some days I want to know what I'm doing here and why. And then God shows me why. Because, believe it or not, I'm good at this. It's so refreshing and just what I needed to get me through the last few weeks of this incredibly draining, but rewarding program.

No comments:

Post a Comment