Thursday, June 11, 2009

Get Out Of The Boat!

We all know the story of Jesus walking on water. There was a storm; Jesus walked on the water; freaked the disciples out because, I mean there's a man walking on the water; turns out it's Jesus. insert huge sigh of relief here; Jesus tells Peter to come walk on the water with Him. I'm sorry, say what?!; Peter walks on the water, starts doubting, and starts sinking; Jesus saves him.

I got a new perspective on this story this week. First of all, there was a huge storm going on yet Peter was willing to step out on the water. He knew, even in the middle of the storm, he was safer with Jesus than he was in the boat. Second of all, have you ever thought about that first step out of the boat? It's not like he was walking onto the water from something that was level and he could just step one foot out and test it. He was a good 2 or 3 feet above the water. There was no testing to make sure it would hold. He had to step completely onto the water and trust that Jesus was going to sustain him. Third of all, he didn't just immediately lose faith and then sink to the bottom. It was a slow process. He started sinking a little at a time. When he was focused on Jesus, knowing that He would keep him up, he was fine. He stood firm on that water! I imagine it was something simple that got Peter distracted. "Hmm... it sure is windy out here" or "Man, that's a big wave over there." This was not the first time Peter had noticed the wind or the waves, but it was the first time he noticed them while standing on water. Once he took his eyes of Jesus and allowed doubtful thoughts to creep in, he sank a little at a time. Isn't that how it is for us too? We are totally confident in the direction God is leading, until Satan plants one thought in our minds that leads to 12 more and before you know it you're sinking in doubt. Jesus didn't grab Peter as soon as he started sinking. He did, however, grab him as soon as he said, "Lord, help me." Amazing that that's all it takes for Jesus to come sweeping in and rescue us. When I am alone, I sink. When my eyes are on Jesus, I can walk on the water.

I believe if Jesus calls me to get out of the boat, He is going to be there to help me walk on the water. If I start to sink, which I sometimes do, He'll reach His hand down and He'll lift me up. God will give you everything You need to do everything He has called you to do. You are in His hands and in His will, and there is no better place to be. -Joyce Meyer

*told you. me+blogging=out of control right now.

1 comment:

  1. caitlin,
    this is awesome!!

    i love that all we have to say is "Lord, help me!"

    ReplyDelete