Friday, October 15, 2010

30 Day Challenge: Day 5

dia cinco
siblings

this should be easy.
I'm an only child.
Linds told me I could adopt her for the sake of this post, which I would gladly do.
but the "siblings post" has probably turned into one of my longest.

When you go to college, friends from home tend to fade. For the most part, this has been true.

Rachel. we first met in 8th grade. and hated each other. Somehow 9th grade changed things and we have been friends ever since. We've been through a lot. We've had our fair share of disagreements. But we have never met anything that some coffee ice cream, Dove chocolate, sour gummy worms, and Jesus couldn't handle. We can take it. She's held my ginormous prom dress so I could go to the bathroom, helped me pack for college when I was so overwhelmed by all my stuff, took care of me when I broke my leg, speaks Spanish with me, and even thinks I'm pretty funny sometimes, which is fun. Sometimes she lives with us, which makes her the closest thing to a sister I have ever really had.
Kelly. She is my mentor, role model, and friend. She makes the best cupcakes and food you will ever taste. Kelly has been through a lot with me. She has listened to me shed many tears. To most people, we have a strange relationship because she is 8 years older than me, but it doesn't matter. She is such an encouragement when I need it the most. She can see right through any lie I try to throw at her. She knows everything about me and still loves me. And even though I'm just a "little kid", she still actually wants to hang out with me. I will be content with being half of the godly woman that she is.


I moved onto A100 of Donovan with 20 something other girls, none of whom I knew.
I went from having my own room to living with a stranger.
I went from having my own bathroom to sharing with all of them.
I went from having my alone time to scrounging for it.
I had a hard time.
But somewhere along the way, I began to love these girls.
They were there when school got too hard.
They studied with me for big tests.
They taught me how to knit and we watched America's Next Top Model and The Hills together.
They were there when I cried.
They were there when I got my heart broken.
We laughed until we cried, stayed up way too late, goofed off when we should have been studying, and went to Waffle House way too many times.
 In January of my freshman year I decided to rush. I never thought I was the sorority kinda girl, but, truth be told, I needed to get involved. I had some great girls on my hall, but I was alone too much. I wasn't sure I would pledge, but I wanted to meet people. I swore up and down that I would, under no conditions, be an Alpha Gam. First of all, their mascot is a squirrel and that's weird. Second of all, my aunt was an Alpha Gam and I wanted to make a name for myself. Then I met the girls. And I was sold. Every time I went to one of the parties for the other sororities I was nervous, wondered what I was going to talk about, and worries about making a good impression. But every night, the moment I walked into the Alpha Gam party, I felt like I could finally breathe. I was at home.

Everyone has their stereotypes about sororities, just like I did before I joined, but the truth of the matter is that these girls have made me a better person. They stuck by me when I made mistakes and never judged me. They helped me get through so much heartache. There was a time when I completely lost sight of who I am and what I was living for, and they helped bring me back. They encourage me, make me laugh, and love me unconditionally, no matter what kind of craziness I throw their way.


I may not know what it's like to have a real sister, but I think I'm pretty darn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment