Sunday, December 26, 2010

We Got A King, They Got A Son

Being engaged has given me a whole new perspective of Mary and Joseph. A few days ago we were riding in the car, listening to a Dave Barnes (can you tell I really love him) song called Mary and Joseph. For just a minute I put myself in their shoes. What would I do if I had to tell Cosbie that I was pregnant, when we both know that is impossible? How would he react? What would I do? Not only is the whole thing crazy in and of itself, but no one had heard from God for hundreds of years. The Old Testament, silence, and then BAM, Jesus. So many emotions must have gone through Mary and Joseph. Fear- they were about to be subject to so much criticism. Excitement- the whole world has been waiting to hear from God for so long, and now He has spoken. And not softly, He has sent the Messiah that the world has been waiting on. Hope. Life. Salvation. Freedom. All in the form of a baby. A baby that most people didn't even think twice about. A baby who was going to save the world. Cradled in Mary's arms. I wonder what it felt like to hold the Savior you have been praying for. Mary's whole life she had been told that a Messiah was coming, that He would be born of a virgin, and crucified. Of course there is no way to know exactly what Mary was thinking, but my guess is that she never in a million years would have thought that she would even live to see His coming, much less be the one to give birth to Him. How humbling to be the one God chose. How terrifying to know that His life would end in so much pain, and to know that His death would be the hope of the world. That small baby changed the world. Changed my world. And gave my life meaning.

"long lay the world in sin and error pining, til He appeared and the soul felt its worth"

No comments:

Post a Comment