Wednesday, August 26, 2009

More Than Fine, More Than Just Okay

One of my favorite quotes was given to me the summer after my junior year when I was going through a really rough time and really looking for God. "Happiness is dependent on your circumstances. Joy is rejoicing despite your circumstances." I have loved that since the moment I was first given it and have found myself quoting it to others and myself so many times in the past 3 years.

I really love Dahlonega. I really love my friends. I really love North Georgia and its beautiful mountains. But I have struggled to adjust the past few weeks. I wouldn't say that I have been unhappy, but I wouldn't exactly say that I have just been ecstatic either. I haven't had horrible days... just real bad ones. I just wanted to be able to say at the end of the day that it was a good day, and I just couldn't. I am such a happy person normally so I just felt weird. This is going to sound so cheesy, but I am so thankful that I have Jesus because even on the really bad days, I still found myself singing to Him and jumping around my room (yep, I really do that. true confessions. that's embarrassing). Even though things have been a little tough and all, I love being filled with so much joy that it still feels like I could just explode and makes me wanna just tell the whole world about Jesus. "Weird" is pretty much how I described the first week or so to everyone. A good day isn't too much for a girl to ask for, right? Right.

Well, friends, the good days have arrived, thank You, Jesus! I guess it was Tuesday when I was finally able to enjoy a day. Orientation consisted of fun group activities such as doing puzzles. I love going through this with some of my most precious friends. They make every difficult and overwhelming day bearable and we never stop laughing. I also have my favorite class, Teaching of Reading, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mrs. Schact (like "shocked") reads us a chapter of Junie B. Jones before each class. Who doesn't love Junie B. Jones?! If you don't know what those books are, you need to Google it because they are some of the greatest children's chapter books ever written. She just makes the class so enjoyable and is such a joy to be around. Just being in her class puts me in a good mood. Tuesday night we had another candle lighting for a sister who got engaged, which is always such a happy time. Then it was time for our first chapter of the year. It was so wonderful to be back together with everyone. Everyone has really found renewed pride for being an Alpha Gam and is really stepping it up. I really love nights like that where we can all be together and I am reminded once again of why I love my sisters so much.

Wednesday morning we had to fill out our plans of study at orientation. I was feeling really apprehensive about this because I had to figure out when I was going to fit my classes in if I wasn't going to take summer classes. Long story short, I ended up adding a Teaching of Art class to my schedule. It meets Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5:30-8:30, so the time kinda sucks and I also will miss chapter most nights this semester, but I had to evaluate my priorities. I am sad that I won't be in chapter, but I would so much rather be there next semester when my Littles are getting their Littles and all that fun stuff. Plus, hopefully I will possibly have an office where I will need to be there every week. Hopefully. ;) This means I am taking 22 hours this semester (which someone so kindly pointed out is almost as many hours that are in a day) and I know that it is a lot, but I feel like this is what I need to do and I can handle it, even if it is a little bit of a rough semester. That afternoon, Lindsey, Lauren, and I had lunch with Michelle, our Bible study leader. We talked about when we were going to start Bible study again and such and it made me so excited to get started up again this coming Wednesday. I am so ready to have a solid group of girls to hang out with, laugh with, and study the Word with. I cannot wait until Wednesday to be with them again and bring in some new girls! That night my dad came and had dinner. I just really love him and it was so great to spend time with him. Linds and I were on the way back and decided to make a little detour to this place that has an awesome view. We got a call from Casey right as we were getting back in the car and she said that we had a special parcel waiting outside our door. We rushed home and Case had come to surprise us and stay the night! I absolutely loved having her here! She makes everything so much fun.

Thursday night Ashton and Brandi came over and had dinner. I am really loving having Ashton up here. She is so precious and I just really love her. There's nothing extremely special about this day or this whole week honestly, but I have truly been blessed with some wonderful friends and am so thankful for each and every one of them. I know none of this means much to most of you, but it is so nice to be able to have a good day and enjoy what I am doing. I am so thankful the the peace of knowing that I am in God's will, following Him, and feeling His peace at all times, even on the difficult days. God is so good, my friends. So, so good. :)

whatever You're doing
inside of me
it feels like chaos
but somehow there's peace
and it's hard to surrender
to what I can't see
but I'm giving in to something heavenly
-Whatever You're Doing, Sanctus Real

A heart at peace gives life to the body. Proverbs 14:30

No comments:

Post a Comment