Thursday, October 29, 2009

First Grade

I realize it has been 3 weeks since I left my first grade placement, but I am just now getting around to this. So here are a few cute/ funny/ favorite stories from my 6 weeks in first grade.

On my first day...
T overflowed the toilet in the boys bathroom and had to fill out a behavior slip. They have to write what they did wrong on the slip and then it is stapled in their agenda for the parent to sign. T wrote, "I overflowed the pot because I put 7 paper towels in it."

Friday before Labor Day weekend...
Me: What are you doing this weekend, A?
A: Well... (thinks real hard, then says, very rapidly) I have a real fairy godmother and she is coming to stay with me and she will come on her own airplane only she is bringing her boyfriend and I do NOT like him because he tells jokes all the time and he thinks he's funny but he's not. (finally breathes)

One day E's zipper got stuck at the top and the whole zipper separated. It made something that resembled a cape, if you will. This was really cool and by the time they came back from P.E., at least 7 other kids had done the same thing.

Because the students also learn Chinese, an announcement was made about Chinese Independence Day. S and T are big buddies. S is Asian. At the end of the announcement, they said something along the lines of "be sure to tell every Chinese person you see 'happy independence day', and T said, "too bad S isn't here today. I don't know any other Asians."

This version has been edited for the appropriateness of my readers: A came to me very upset one day. She's also very dramatic.
A: Ms. Moss! Tell Andrew to stop touching himself!
Me: umm... what..?
A: Andrew won't stop touching himself! Tell him to stop!
I believe I just told her to ignore him... oh my...

L: What year were you born?
Me: 1989
L: You were born in the 1900's?!?!
Me: Yes, what year were you born?
L: 2003. How old are you?
Me: 20
L: Twenty?! Oh my goodness!
Made me feel real old...

S used pencils for chopsticks. Enough said.

E has a really hard time in math, so I helped him a lot and did his tests one on one with him. He is still struggling, but I really developed a great relationship with him. He gets jealous if I help someone else and makes up excuses for me to help him. He told me he has a crush on me. He's precious. Is it wrong to love how much he loves me?

N hardly looked at or spoke to me for almost 2 weeks. I don't know why but I was just drawn to her sweet little smile. By the time I left she was sharing her stories with me and talking about Mexico with me all the time. I see her in the hall every day on my way to this placement and her face just lights up when I say, "Good morning, N" and she says, "Good morning Ms. Moss!" It makes my day...

I still see my sweet first graders all the time and they just make my day when they swarm me with hugs. I love that they still get that excited to see me and they love that I still remember all of their names and talk to each one of them. I just love them a whole lot. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment: