Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We're Halfway There, Livin' On A Prayer

First semester of the education program: check.

Things I learned this semester:
- I will survive.
- Sleep is essential.
- 4:30 will always feel too early, no matter how many days you get up at that time or how early you go to sleep.
- bring your iPod in the car or else sleep is impossible
- driving to placement alone almost always ends with a terrible fight to stay awake.
- no matter how great your lesson plan is, it won't go as planned and you will cry to your supervisor when the kids leave the room.
- someone's gotta cry. and most of the time it's me.
- nothing could replace the feeling you get when the kids run down the hall screaming your name and bombard you with hugs.
- the kids from your first placement will always be your favorite.
- there are great cooperating teachers... and then there are not so great ones...
- some supervisors are crazy.
- math is of the devil. oh wait, already knew that.
- so is phonics.
- getting dressed up every day is overrated.
- there will be days when the alarm isn't enough to wake you up but somehow a text message is. when this happens, it is necessary to throw on the closest outfit, grab makeup, and leave. in 3 minutes flat.
- a 15 to 20 minute nap after placement and before class is necessary in order to stay awake during class. so is doodling on your notes.
- lists, lists, lists.
- It's gonna be ok. Whatever it is, it's going to be ok.

With all of that being said, Christmas break has begun! I don't quite know what to do with myself. I actually still feel stressed out because I feel like I should be doing something. Weird, I know. Today I took my car to get new brakes, took a long bath and read, watched Bones, read some more, and made a cake. It's so nice to be able to relax a little. :) One semester down, 3 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment